Tuesday 23 October 2018

Lesson 21: I hate styling the pixie while growing it out




I've been grudgingly living with an accidental pixie cut for the last two months and have come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea how to make it look cool. On most days, my hair looks decent at best. On bad hair days, I look like my grandma. When I look in the mirror, I beg the hair gods to make it grow faster. I don't think it's working.

I was warned about the inevitable mullet phase but didn't believe it could happen to me. Denial is part of the growing-out process, I guess, because here I am sporting that dreaded 80s longer-in-the-back 'do. It is the elephant in the room; my inner circle knows better than to point it out.

I've considered going in to have it cut off, but I cancel the appointment each time the date nears. At this point, cutting off any growth seems counterintuitive to me. I NEED that length for my sanity, no matter how ugly it looks.

So, I've experimented with a few products and hair tools to disguise the fact that my cut is a hot mess right now:

1. Tying up all the front and top shorter layers then using a straight iron to add body is definitely my go-to look. For some reason, my hair seems longer this way. Bobby pins or tiny clear hair ties are key.

2. Adding a few messy curls helps blend uneven layers. I had to switch to a 3/4 inch wand because the 1 inch was just too big for my short layers.

3. Headbands, bandanas or hair wraps work when pressed for time. It's not the cutest look but it's great to hide third-day hair or uncooperative hair. And they usually disguise the mullet!


4. Spray wax adds touchable texture and is better than hairspray or gel when creating a sophisticated slicked back look à la Scarlett Johansson.

My attempt at a sophisticated look in my not-so-sophisticated bathroom. 



When all else fails, makeup works wonders to distract from my hair! 

Feel free to subscribe to my blog for more updates on the grow-out process. Or, leave any questions or tips in the comment section.







No comments:

Post a Comment